Thursday 28 January 2016

At Last

 I caught some fish, at last. In what was described as a lively breeze by the weatherman on tele, I went to the syndicate again. With only one other angler on the lake I decided to have a wander, chucking lures, a few casts in each swim. Mainly because I couldn't decide where to fish and hoped to spot bait fish scattering or some other sign.



First swim, fourth cast over a dying lily bed and I had a take. A lively jack of around 4lb had taken my Buster Jerk and became my first fish of the year. Somewhat relieved at breaking my duck I had a few more casts in this swim before moving to the next. First cast, again over a dying lily bed, saw a little 'un around 1½lb or so grab the lure. Four more of similar size were landed from the next few swims. All taken over dying lily beds. No lily bed no fish seemed to be the pattern.


The lively breeze was now very lively and despite landing the lure in several trees so far, trying to fish as close to features as possible, I attempted a rather clever cast along the tree line. A very strong gust whipped the line up over several branches. This time, however, the clip parted leaving my lure adorning the tree. It will be retrieved latter with the boat when the wind dies down. Thankfully I had another one and after replacing the trace was on my way again. One more fish, again from over a dying lily bed, grabbed my lure after a couple of attempts at grabbing it. 


Having made my way round the pond I settled in the last swim with the dead-bait rods. Usual tactics, sardine to the right, lamprey to the left, and a popped up smelt out in front. Before the kettle had boiled the left hand float was away. This produced another little jack. Despite moving the baits about no more came to dead baits. I did manage a couple more jacks on a deep diving plug.

It was nice to finally break my duck even if the fish were rather small. Quite were the big girls are I don't know. Nor did the only other angler there as he blanked. Roll on the weekend, things can only get better. Can't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment