Saturday 13 August 2016

Bugga T 200

Armed with a shiny new rod and reel I grabbed a quick, after work, session on the Aire and Calder Navigation to try them out. Being higher than the surrounding area the wind was a bit of a nuisance, I had to tighten the band on my cap up a bit.



I started off with a 5g jig just to have a few casts and bed the line in, before moving to a 1.5g HTO Bug-ga in pink. Despite the stiff breeze the rod, a HTO Rockfish T, cast it really well and accurately. After a few casts bouncing the lure along the bottom the distinctive feel of a fish grabbing the lure was felt, this occurred several times before finally hooking a small perch. The new tackle jinx removed, several more followed, all the same size, before they disappeared. 


The new tackle had behaved very well and even on the wider sections was able to throw the lure to the far bank , something the rod it replaced struggled to do. At £30 or so it's very hard to find fault with it, although I'm to overly keen on the white tip it wasn't as distracting as I thought it might be. The omission of a keeper ring, on just about any rod, is not good. I know you can get little plastic thingies for this purpose, but just how much would fitting one during manufacture cost extra. 

The reel, a Rockfish 2000, was equally nice although the handle felt a little bit chunky for my liking it performed it's task admirably. It comes with just the one, shallow, spool which to my mind would be better if it was half the depth as it would be mainly used with 0.1mm, and smaller, braid and swallowed 120m of 0.08mm no problem, I feel it's a bit under filled. In fact two spools would be nice. The current one for fluorocarbon and an even shallower one for braid. Having said that at £30 it's a reasonable smooth and unfussy reel with an instant anti-reverse and very little play in the spool.


None of the new tackle was truly tested as I wandered about catch a steady flow of small perch all around the same size, but it was fun all the same. I look forward to giving this set up a try at the seaside.





No comments:

Post a Comment