Saturday 30 September 2017

Grand Finale, Maybe

With the trout season closing on Saturday and the weekend weather looking rather nasty, I managed to get up to the moos midweek for a final fling. The river was remarkably clear, but running about 4-5" inches up. A couple of anglers were trying, unsuccessfully, for sea trout in one f the larger pools.


With nothing showing I opted for a nymph set up, which I chucked about for an hour with only a small parr to show for my efforts. A few small uprights stated to appear as the sun put in an appearance and the odd fish started to rise. A change to a foam dun immediately brought a small trout followed by a parr. For a while after the fish just seemed to slash at the fly. A change to a black emerger pattern produced more hook ups, mainly from parr.


For the next couple of hours I managed the odd fish here and there, mainly parr with the odd trout in between. The largest fish of the day, at around 10", was clearly camera shy an slipped from my hand just before I got a photo. After a couple of hours the rises stopped and there was no more signs of insect life.


Not a bad end to the season. I lost count of the number of fish, mainly parr, caught If the predicted rain over the next couple of days isn't too bad I may be able to get out Saturday, but I have my doubts.

No comments:

Post a Comment