Monday 7 May 2018

More Bank Holiday Sunshine

As we know, bank holiday weather is supposed to be somewhat sub-standard and blazing temperatures. With this in mind, and know desire to be stuck in traffic queues I set off just after first light for another spot of lure fishing on Pocklington canal. I really needn't of bothered as it was gone  nine before the first fish showed, The rest of the wildlife I saw made up for it though.

 








On arrival I was greeted by an incredible racket from the rookery. An otter dropped into the beck as I wandered over the bridge. The rooks then decided to harass a heron as it landed by the side of the canal, which looked lovely. Totally fish-less, but lovely. Nothing was topping and apart from a few pin fry nothing stirred. Normally as I wander along fishing I disturb something in the inside edge. A barn owl swooped over the field before disappearing into the woods. A bit later a solitary deer came wandering towards me, on the path. I've seen small groups of deer here before, but never a solitary one. As I was facing east it wasn't the easiest thing to get a photo of, especially with a phone. The first sign of fish was a couple of tails waving about above a cloud of mud, feeding tench I assumed..

Just after nine I managed to snag a small jack on a Slider 6 jerk bait. I had just about given up at this point as it was now getting a tad too hot for my liking. I'm more of a winter person. Half an hour later I managed another, slightly larger jack on the same lure.  A little while after this what looked like a largish roach had a lunge at the lure. I have taken roach on lures before, especially around this time of year. I saw nothing more over the next half hour and as I was back at the bridge I called it a day.







No comments:

Post a Comment