Friday 8 February 2019

Wind and Ice

Wednesday evening I spent a bit of time pondering where to fish Thursday and Friday. The weather didn't look particularly pleasant for either day, with Friday looking far worse. The rivers were also starting to rise again, and I suspected they would continue to rise. So I decided to head to a local gravel pit on Thursday morning. Much to my astonishment it was still iced over. I then headed over to the estate lake, hoping the more open nature of it would have allowed the ice to melt. This too was covered in ice, or about two thirds of it any way. 


Another angler was setting up in what would have been my preferred swim, so I was left with my second choice. At least the rain had ease off. I was soon set up with one float out in front next to the ice and another under the tree to my right. As the morning wore on and the breeze picked up the ice slowly retreated. Late on in the morning the wind changed direction and got more gusty. Sniggering at my fellow angler chasing his brolly along the bank, I turned to see mine buckle over. The spike was beautifully bent, as If it was supposed to be like that.


By lunch time the ice was breaking up nicely and I'd been able to move the front bait out into the old stream bed. Then the wind direction shifted again and the sheets of ice headed into my swim. I hauled the rods out and went for a natter with the other angler, while I pondered my options.  Turned out he'd had a dropped run and bumped a fish off. So the pike were feeding. By the time I got back to my swim the ice had gone and there was only a small patch left on the lake.

 








Not long after I put the baits back out the float under the tree bobbed about. Twitching the bait just resulted in a twig hooking itself. Late in the afternoon the front float shot away and I was into a fish. After a brief but hectic fight I fish of a round 6lb was in the net.


The light started to fade rather rapidly so I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment