Friday 16 August 2019

The Ure - Part Deux

Down to The Ure again on Thursday for an evening session. I'd had a bit of a tip off about the better barbel swims. Unfortunately, distance and depth are two things anglers seem to be rubbish at. When the say 70 yards or so, they mean 150. Not that things were any better in the hot barbel swim, the chap in there had a couple of raps all evening. The level was back down from the recent spate at a similar level to last weeks session, only clearer.











The tactics for he evening were one rod on feeder fished pellet about a third of the way out and lob worm on the other under a over hanging tree. Despite the gusty downstream wind it was T-shirt evening, initially, as I sat back and waited. It was best part of an hour before I got the first raps on the worm rod eventually connecting with a small perch. Two more followed, getting bigger each time. The next fish initially felt like a decent perch before transmogrifying in to an eel around the pound mark. After a quiet spell a barmpot jack picked up the worm. After a stunning display of aerobatics it shed the hook. In the meantime I'd changed the pellet for a lump of garlic Spam. As I was talking to another angler, who'd popped down to check the water level, the Spam rod buckled over and I lifted into something heavy and fast. Having got the beast turned and starting to make a little headway everything went slack. On retrieval the hook link was frayed and around six inch shorter. The angler I was talking to said he'd suffered similar on several occasions last summer. Various suggestions had been made, pike, huge eels and catfish had all ben mentioned, but nobody has ever seen the culprit. He also said the barbel fishing hadn't ben a prolific this year, which is not what I wanted to hear, and was surprised I'd not taken any small chub as they'd been making a nuisance of themselves this year. I had a couple more raps on the meat od as i got dark. On both occasions  a cone or two was missing so I suspect eels.





















A slightly more productive session than last time. I think I might try a more roving approach next time, although there are times when I think all this does is allow you to blank in several swims instead of just the one.










No comments:

Post a Comment