Thursday 2 January 2020

Nearly Christened My New Landing Net

As I arrived at the Ouse another angler had just unloaded his car and was heading down to the river, I soon followed. We both wandered about for a while. Not all the swims were fishable due to the height of the water. Some some were just a mud slide into the river, others could be fished but were too high up for my new telescopic landing to reach the water. About half the swims were fishable, so my plan o fish for 60-90 minutes in each swim seemed OK. Having carefully navigated my way into the first swim with the help of my trusty storm pole I discovered a new problem. The sun had appeared and was shining straight at me and would be for a couple of hours and I couldn't see a thing. Back to the car for the clip-ons. At this point half a dozen more anglers arrived and spread themselves among the remaining swims which put the kibosh on my original plan. Still the swim I was in was a classic pike swim as shown in all the books and magazines.  A large slack next to a side stream.


A float fished half mackerel was placed by the up stream over-hanging tree and a headless sardine near the crease caused by the small stream entering. I moved them about every hour or so. Around two I got my one and only run, on the sardine.. The fish, which didn't feel or behave like a big  'un, dashed about all over before coming adrift. As I wound in the remaining bits of sardine fell off the hooks. The mackerel float started to bobble about as I put another sardine on, which resulted in a couple of teeth marks. Talking to another angler who'd been throwing lures about with out success I discovered the other five had left about twelve. Not that it mattered as there were pike in the swim and I felt it was worth staying put. Not that anything more happened. Around half three the sky darkened and the wind got up. I stuck it out until four, when I decide I'd rather be at the top of the bank before it got dark.. It was a lot harder getting back up with the kit than it was getting down.


The lure angler was another piker to tell me he'd rally been struggling this season. I have to admit these blanks are getting a bit boring, but I'd had a little bit of action even if I didn't get to see the fish. One more trip before it's back to work.





2 comments:

  1. I've had a good bit of luck the last couple of times out. But I know that if I push it a blank will be inevitable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, savour it while you can but don't push it. Fishing seems to by like that. You do well for a while then it all seems to fall apart.

      Delete