Friday 21 February 2020

A Couple of Right Logs

With local rivers still well up it was back to the gravel pit again. The water level there is still rising, it was up another 6" or so. With this in mind I attempted to fish a swim that needs that level of water to work. The problem with it is that it it's at the windward end of the pit and the debris tends to get blown in there. The first couple of casts produced a couple of sunken logs. The third produced a lot of bubbles from a very large branch before the twig I was connected to broke away.  I moved to another swim, but the problem here was debris piling up against the line. I then moved to the swim I was in last week.



Using the same tactics as last week I settled down and continued to listen to The Yorkshire Gent podcast. All remained quiet. No sign of any fish activity at all, but a couple of geese came crashing in at one point. Having had some lunch I was just boiling some for a cup of tea when the baitrunner started to scream . by the time I got to the rod and struck the fish was two thirds of the way across the lake. After the initial charge I thought I'd lost it as it felt like a branch I was winding in. Once it got near the bank it woke up and tangled it's self rod the line from the other rod before coming to the net quietly. Thankfully it was hooked in the frint of the mouth and the barbless hook came out with ease saving me from untangling the mess before unhooking it. A tidy looking fish, bar one scar, of 74cm and 6lb 8oz.  That was it for the day. I did move to another swim and fished until dusk.



If you look at the video you can see the steam coming from the pan as I didn't turn the stove off when the run occurred.



What state the rivers will be in as we approach the end of the river season I've no idea. I've even booked the fourteenth off work to fish the last day. Quite way I don't know as it usually ends up being a bit of a let down.

Music while typing provided by Punky Radio




2 comments:

  1. Had a variety of tree parts today too. Quite a few flying fronds in the winds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pike gear seems to have an amazing ability to attach it's self to things like that.

      Delete