Friday 3 July 2020

Litter Free Barbeling

Thursday I decided o do a bit more Barbel fishing, this time on the Derwent. Expecting the river to be up and/or tanking through I didn't take the float rod. I was somewhat surprised when I got there to see the river nearly at usual summer level and flowing through at at normal speed. It still had a bit of colour in it though. The next thing to great me as I went though the gate was the NO LITTER signs. A sign that really shouldn't exist. There was, however, next to no litter in the field as I wandered down to the swim.

Simple running leger rigs with halibut pellet hook baits were the order of the day. Free offerings were catapulted in and also small mesh bags of 4-6mm pellets. The upstream rod cast to a crease and the downstream just beyond the weeds. Apart from the odd rattle, there they sat right up to dark. I did get a couple of sharp pulls but failed to contact with anything. Given that a couple of other anglers were catching the odd Chub around the  pound mark I'm blaming them. The Chub not the anglers.




A very quiet day, made even quieter by the lack of raptors flying about. There were a few Swifts and some Tree Sparrows, but the only raptor type beastie was a Tawny Owl that flew along the far bank just before I packed up. Normally there are Buzzard and Kites to be seen, along with the occasional Kestrel. There weren't even any cackling corvids about. The most exciting part of the evening was the wander back, in the dark, along the slippy path.







No comments:

Post a Comment