Monday 28 September 2020

Missing Chub

A combination of events prompted today's short session. A discussion twitter about UL lure rods and a conversation last week about shoals of chub in a local river. The shoals had been there early season, several YouTube videos testify to this, then disappeared or thinned out. According to my mate they shoals had reappeared as he'd seen them while walking his mother dog, but like me had not got round to fishing for them.  As luck would have it, when I got to the river my mate had just arrived to walk his mother's dog and agreed to be chief fish spotter.


Not that he had a lot of work to do as the river was very very low and the fish had magically disappeared again. We did spot a shoal of small roach early on and apart from a couple of little jacks we spooked that was it. I did managed a small perch on a 5cm Salmo Minnow. It was at this point, having taken a photo of the fish, my phone announced it had zero charge and shut down. After wandering to the end of the stretch casting near any feature, to no avail. I left my mate who took a different route with the dog as I returned to the car.

I made my way to another section, but failed to spot any fish. A blind cast had what I think was a jack have a o at the lure. As it did a second time, but that was it. I did have a conversation with another chap who said that there had been a few chub about and some nice perch only a couple of days ago. He was quite surprised himself he hadn't spotted anything apart from tiddlers. He thought it may have been the chilly night, but where were they hiding. Next time I get a tip off I should act straight away, not wait a couple of months.

I currently have the action cam on a chest mount which meant that the pike swirling at the lure was just off camera, maybe I should try the camera on a head mount as I forget to point my body at the action.

2 comments: