Tuesday 1 December 2020

Not Ousing With Pike

One thing I do before setting off  fishing is have a look at Google Maps for any traffic problems. Unusually for this year there was. I decided to have another look after some breakfast. By then the tailback was even longer and according to the local newspaper they were cutting somebody out of a car, so it wasn't going to clear very quickly. There were a couple of other, rather convoluted, routes there but I took the decision to to go elsewhere. The weather forecast was for a cloudy start with occasional sunshine later. Despite this it rained all the way to the venue, only stopping as I wandered down to the river. I had a couple of spots in mind, both large eddies. First, though, I had a wander about with the lure rod. This proved fruitless with not even a follow.

I picked one of the swims I'd chosen with the intention of moving to the other if nothing had happened by lunch time. By the time I'd got set up a chill breeze had sprung up, so it was back on with the big coat. Considering it was the last day of December and we hadn't really had any really cold days it still wasn't bad. The tactics were to be a sardine on the heavy float rig anchored near the upstream tree and a sprat on the light rig set so it just touched bottom. This would allow it to drift slowly around the eddy. Around elevenses the the sun pooped out from behind the clouds. Despite their size pike floats become very hard to see in bright sun light. I'd left the clip-ons in the car. I should really get another pair and have them in the tackle bag as low winter sun really can be a nuisance. The sun had a bit of heat to it so it was off with the big coat.

 

I opted for an early lunch with the intention of moving afterwards. As I was enjoying my Chip Shop Style Curried Rice, some roach scattered near the downstream tree. I moved the sardine to there and allowed the sprat to drift nearer the upstream tree. As it got closer to the tree I lost sight of it is the sun popped out from behind the clouds again. I then spotted it in the among the branches. Winding down it soon became apparent that it was now snagged. One advantage of 45lb braid and 30lb wire is you can generally pull free from a snag even if it does mean bending the hooks, as was the case this time. I tried running lures around the tree, before changing to a sink and draw roach rig. Nether produced anything, but clearly there was something feeding. This was confirmed by another scattering of bait fish. I decided to remain in this swim. Again there was a scattering of fish and this time a large swirl near the upstream tree. I dropped the sardine in and not long after the float shot across the surface. A trike resulted in something solid, very solid. Snagged again. Getting upstream of it I managed to snap the sunken branch off.


There were another three pike attacks on the bait fish throughout the afternoon, but no interest in my baits or lures. By now the light was fading and the sun was no longer providing any heat. Just as I considered packing up the heavens opened. Heavy enough to require the brolly. I hate packing up in the rain. Thankfully it was short lived. As I was packing up the swan family, which had suddenly taken off upstream earlier, came drifting downstream with three other youngsters ahead of them. The slightly older male decided that siting near me might protect it from the slightly aggressive cob. The two younger ones, still in juvenile plumage took refuge in the nest swim down, hiding under the overhanging branches. It surprising how aggressive swans can get against youngsters that land in their territory, but this ended peacefully with the family heading back upstream and the other youngsters beating a hasty retreat downstream. By the time I got packed up it was dark. Picking my way down the other side of the slippy flood bank was fun, but I made it to the car intact.



Pike, like all fish, can be really annoying. Especially when there's clear signs of them feeding, but they just ignore everything you throw at them. Equally their ability to transfer hooks from their mouth to a snag is just as frustrating. Still it was a nice day out and far better than been at work.

1 comment: