Sunday 7 February 2021

At Least It Wasn't Frozen Over

Given the weather forecast, snow showers and a nor'esterly wind giving a wind chill of -5C, I wasn't sure if there be anybody else down at the gravel pit. I was slightly wrong with that prediction. Four pike anglers were already there and a couple of coarse anglers along with a lure angler. This left a limited choice of swims. I plonked myself in one corner and set up the shelter. Once behind that things were not quite as bad. The first of the snow flurries started just as I cast a small roach into the little bay to my left. A popped up trout was rigged on the second rod. This went out near the middle at the bottom of the shelf.

 


There we all sat staring at a selection of pike floats or waving poles about. Another couple of lure anglers visited through the day and had a quick thrash about in the two remaining swims. Part way through the morning a pike was taken opposite me. Towards lunch the pole anglers started to catch the odd small silver. The rest of has nothing what so ever.



I suspect the amount of water that has come in to the pit lately has an effect as I've not seen it at this height for a long long time. I suspect the next trip may well involve breaking ice given the weather forecast.

4 comments:

  1. Too white to go anywhere here though I'd say the wind which is bitter and wild is probably keeping much of the open waters free of ice, for now. Tight lines including your ice braking hammer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even places that aren't surrounded by trees were freezing, despite the wind. If it would freeze enough I've got some ice fishing kit that I've hardly ever used.

      Delete
    2. My friend is exiled to Canada and he does drive on to the ice in his pickup to fish in a shelter. Now that must be thick ice.

      Delete
    3. Must be, I'd have thought at least a foot. The guidance I was given was it had to be 3-4" thick for pedestrians.

      Delete