Saturday 17 April 2021

The Trout Hunt Continues

Friday's weather forecast didn't look great for trout fishing. Sunny with the slight possibility of a bit of cloud in the afternoon. It was, however a warm day with no need of a fleece. As is usual for this time of year the river was devoid of fly life, so I went with the heavy metal as I worked my  way upstream. Apart from a couple of tugs in one swim the only bites I got were from twigs and other debris. ON the way back down stream I changed to streamers.  Fishing them as close as I could to the tree roots. This seemed to result in me spending as much time retrieving them from the roots when they got snagged as I did fishing them. There was only one time I didn't get the lure back, as the water was too deep for me to reach it. The one and only fish I saw was a little jack that followed for a couple of yards.

 
With nothing doing I changed venues to one of the tributaries. I was undecided about tactics. Lure or nymph. As I opened the fly box two of the small, size 12, woolly bugger jig flies fell out. I selected the white one. I fished it through the small deep holes in this tiny little river. At some points it's nearly as deep as it is wide, and it never really gets wide. I reached a glide that has produced trout in the past to dry fly. I flicked the fly downstream while I pulled some line off the reel ready to cast. As I went to cast something hit the fly and a grayling was lifted out of the water. Quickly netted and released I had another go. I let the lure sink  before giving it a tug and was in again. At first it felt like a trout, but the unmistakeable flash of a grayling told me otherwise. A bit bigger than the last. I decided to move on as grayling are out of season and there appeared to be a shoal of them down there. That was it though, no more fish decided to bother me on the short stretch I fished.


My trout season has not got off to a flying start. One blank, a pike, and two grayling. I think I'll have to head up to the Dales or the Moors if I want a trout.

2 comments: