Saturday 1 May 2021

So Near, Again

With appointments on Friday morning fishing was going to be afternoon into evening, but the weather forecast was iffy at best. In the cloudy weather and chilly breeze, despite the trees turning green and the dandelions along bank, the river looked rather uninviting. I decided on a klink and dink rig to run over some of the shallower runs as I'd been concentrating on the deeper holes previously. As I popped over the flood bank two cute little furry faces were looking up at me from the river. A pair of young otter disappeared under the water with a trail of of bubbles Probably last year's pups. There's been otters on here for years so I wasn't too worried they don't seem to have affected the fishing much at all.


After about an hour of fishing with only a few twigs to show for my efforts. At no point had I seen any thing rise. This was hardly surprising as I'd seen nothing hatching. While hatches on here are generally not prolific I'm surprised not to have seen anything on my trips here. With darkening clouds I arrived at a stretch where the river has pushed past the wooden piles. Second cast something took a lunge at the dry fly, taking me by surprise. Despite reasonable reactions I failed to contact. I managed a couple more casts over the area before the rain started. I waded across the river to try running the rig down the tree line. Fourth cast I was in the trees .By now the rain was getting rather heavy so after retrieving the flies I retire to the car. While partaking of a cuppa the rain eased off the got heavier several times. A look at the rain radar suggested this may go on for some time, so I set off home. I really dislike been wet and cold while try to fly fish.


A natter with another angler who'd failed to catch trotting worms. I assured him there was trout in the river, some very good ones at that. The fact a fish went for the dry fly was encouraging just a pity the weather didn't cooperate, but it is a bank holiday weekend.

2 comments:

  1. We use to fish Ardleigh for its lovely browns, team of three drifting loch style but the opening day was of course lure stripping up to our knackers in ice cold water, and it always rained or snowed. An endurance, or rite of passage, usually got the 8 fish limit but boy were we cold (did help that we were "juniors" for several years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha junior license until we were 20. And down to the Wooden Fender to warm up at lunchtime. Shining times.

    ReplyDelete