Friday 18 March 2022

More Last Pike Of The Season

 I'd been undecided where to go today as we're between the river coarse season and the trout season. Tidying the bait fridge out help me decide. There were a few dead baits in rather sorry condition so I decided on a trip to the estate lake to use them up. The weather forecast wasn't good for pike fishing, warm with bright sunshine. The bait wasn't too good either, most of it having a bit of freezer burn. Not that I'd had much of a problem with manky baits like that in the past. The pike should be getting ready to spawn so would be very hungry I hoped. As I drove past the gravel pit on my way to the estate lake I couldn't help but notice a complete lack of anglers. I had expected it to be busy. A change of plan was in order so I stopped there.


The first bait out of the bag was a herring head which was dropped near some tree roots. The next bait was a small smelt. This was chucked well out to near where there would be weeds in summer. I didn't have to wait long for the first run.. A little jack had taken a liking to the herring. A very sorry looking sardine was next out towards the tree roots. I then had a dropped run on the smelt. This was replaced by a roach. Around lunch time another angler arrived for a couple of hours and blanked. The sardine had to be replaced a couple of times as they were very soft and soon fell apart. Finally been replaced with an eel section. Another little jack took a liking to it, but throw the hooks the moment I grabbed the trace. The eel section had dropped of in the shallows so was reattached and dropped back by the tree roots. Just before a was packing up another, or the same, little jack grabbed the eel section.


Two, or three, little jacks was less than I was hoping for, but better than nowt given how bright it was.


 

Next Friday is the start of the trout season so I hope to be flinging a few flies about for a brownie or two.

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. 1Somebody suggested eating them until I pointed out that they'd been slightly defrosted and refrozen several times.

      Delete