Saturday 23 April 2022

A Quick Crank By The Canal

 I had a couple of hours spare this morning so decided on a quick session on the canal. Things didn't get off to a great start when the bail arm snap shut as I cast smacking the lure into the stonework and breaking the lip. A change to a different pattern Salmo Minnow 7 produced a small jack on the second cast. At this point a realised the unhooking mat was missing. After an extensive search I found it under the car. It must of dropped off and rolled under when I put the lure bag on.

Over the next ninety minutes three more jacks graced the net each one getting a bit bigger. They all put up quite spectacular fights on the light perch gear. Aerial acrobatics seemed to be the order of the day. By the time I was due to leave a strong gusty wind had got up making casting light lures a real problem. Twice I'd been lucky enough to retrieve the lure from a tree where it had been blown.
When I got back to the car I put the landing net down to see something moving in it. A small frog had got it's self into it. Not sure when it had got in . There was no sign of any damage so I don't think a pike had coughed it up. I placed it among the newly emerging reed mace. 

A bait angler fishing near the car wasn't having much luck for pike, and another lure angler was just starting. 


 

2 comments:

  1. some nice pike there. Can't beat a crank on the canal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were, and just the right sort of size for the light perch set up I was using.

      Delete