Thursday 5 October 2023

The Right Wellies - Clay Pit 2

When I arrived at the clay pit a gentleman was already there struggling with the combination lock. I had a wrestle with it but it seemed awful stiff and was very uncooperative. There had been an email about people tampering with the lock so he assumed that's what it was. After a couple of attempts he decided that even if we managed to get in getting out was a higher priority and he didn't fancy being stuck behind the gate, so off he went else where. While I pondered what to do I had another go. A gent walking his dog told me you had to press the shackle into the lock while turning the numbers. Sure enough this worked although the lock still seemed a bit iffy. Never the less I decided to venture in. Especially as I had the correct wellies and had remembered the liquidised bread.

 

Having got in and the gate locked again I set off round the lake with a lure rod. I managed a couple of half hearted follows from jacks but I only had three or four casts in each swim before moving on. One noticeable thing was the lack of fish activity. Nothing topping, no carp splashing about. The two follows were in swims that looked very pikey. Lily pads. Norfolk Reed, and a fallen tree being very inviting. Set up in the first swim I'd had a follow in. A large smelt dropped next to the fallen tree and a small trout suspend under a float near the lily pad. A handful of liquidised bread tossed out near the float to attract any bait fish.

After an hour or so with nothing to show, despite moving the baits about I contemplated moving, but it was rather close to luncheon. Move then have lunch or have lunch then move. I decided on the former. No sooner had I got my Katsu Curry ready when the trout float, now next to the Norfolk Reeds, moved away. Striking into the run a small branch popped out of the water. Thankfully the lunatic little jack shook it off. It fought all the way to the net and for some time after. Another little trout went out, back next to the lily pad and i carried on with lunch. I'd just finished when the float shot under the lilies. I struck but the bait had been dropped. Staring at the float with annoyance it shot off again. This time I connected. Another small looney jack thrashed about the swim before being netted.


Having had a cuppa I moved swims. This one had a larger lily pad and a fair bit of Norfolk reed for the pike to hide in. The same baits were used and moved about the features at regular intervals but nothing more showed. I had another wander with the lure rod to no avail. Just before I considered departing a carp angler arrived. A point disappointed that I'd seen no carp activity. He did give me some info on another venue I'd been regularly told had no pike. He'd also lubricated the lock which as I found out made life a lot easier.

First couple of pike of the new season, even if not big were welcome. Especially as they were  from a venue I'd not pike fished before.


4 comments:

  1. Nice to get some intended targets!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, and still plenty of time for the big'un

      Delete
  2. I hate dodgy locks. Golden Pond , my nearest water is always a fret, there is no phone signal to summon help should the lock not play ball and the otter/scrote fence is virtually climb proof.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It probably wasn't the brightest move as the car has to be parked inside as well. I have been locked in on a couple of occasions else where. Some charming little sod once super glued the lock. On another occasion I'd forgotten it was number changing day and couldn't remember the new combination. Both took a few phone calls and a couple of hours to be rescued.

      Delete