Saturday 6 April 2024

Life, The Universe, And The Fly Box

 On Friday there was a work party on the beck which was slowly rising. A couple of benches were to be installed. Then a couple of fallen trees removed from across the beck that were inhibiting upstream wading. The benches installed with out a hitch. No tree roots or rocks got in the way. A bit of careful pruning of overhanging briars was carried out along with removing the offending tree trunks. The benches are a nice thing to have as the proved a nice spot to sit and contemplate life, the universe, and your fly box with out having to sit on the currently boggy ground.

By the time we'd finished the beck had risen a couple of inches or so and coloured up a bit. By the time I'd had my lunch it had stopped riding and the colour had dropped out a bit. I headed up to the woods rod in hand, but not before testing a bench out. All OK.


The second bench proved useful for setting up the rod and line, and perusing the fly box. A retirer sedge and a gold head PTN were selected. While I was setting up I thought I saw something rise, or maybe something fell from the trees. Either way there were rings on the water.

 

 

The first couple of takes on the PTN were from twigs, but the third turned out to be a rather skinny looking grayling with precious little fight. It was quickly flicked off the barbless hook. Around the next corner a similar set of events occurred and another skinny apathetic grayling of similar size, about 10", was quickly flick from the hook. A bit further on something took a liking to the dry but I failed to contact. Next cast something livelier grabbed the PTN but managed to slip the hook before I could see it. By now it was starting to rain and was nearly time to depart. I thought I'd best start back as I had no idea how far I'd gone into the woods. As it happens it wasn't far as the crow flies but the beck does wiggle about a lot at this point. With storm Kathleen heading up the country I suspected Saturday would be a washout, and from reports and looking at the gauges my suspicions were well founded. Maybe I'll get out on Sunday.


6 comments:

  1. The ring of truth, as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's easier to be honest with the written word than a video.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Certainly should. It seems to be one of those civilised things that fly fishing clubs do. Along with little huts. There is plenty of of unkept areas for those that prefer that sort of thing. Along with some tidy stretches for those that scrambling through woods and briars is not their thing, or can no longer manage the crawling about that these areas require.

      Delete
  3. Need an "action" shot of you just sat on the bench!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know. I'll correct that omission on my next visit.

      Delete