Thursday 23 May 2024

Work Party & Fishing After The Rain

 Wednesday it chucked it down for most of the day. Some places ended up with more than a months rain in that time. It was, therefore, no surprise that the beck was up a couple of inches and rather coloured. We did manage to remove some annoying vegetation. Mainly dead stuff dangling over the beck that was impeding access.


After some lunch a bit of angling was called for. Some insect life was hatching in the afternoon. A few mayfly, the odd olive, and a solitary yellow may. Given the colour and the lack of rising fish nymphs seemed to be the order of the day. I have to admit nymphing isn't my favourite pastime but seemed to be the only way of catching. I started with a gold head PTN jig which was clearly heavy enough in the fast current given the number of twigs it dredged up. Eventually it managed to attach itself to something heavier than a twig and was lost. I didn't have a great selection of nymphs with me as this should be dry fly season. 

I was going to fish a spot where the beck narrowed but spotted a fish rising in an eddy just upstream. I tossed the nymph into the eddy and a lovely little trout hit it hard. A nice WBT of 8". The next cast produced a slightly smaller fish of 7". The third cast a fish hit but I failed to make contact. The fish took the nymph in the top foot or so in a 3-4' deep hole. I fished the eddy a while longer. For nothing else.

I continued on upstream but only managed a few more twigs and the odd tree. Considering the state of the beck and my dislike of nymphing I'll take two little fish as a good result. The other lad fishing with me managed a 10" trout fishing nymph with a tenkara rod.

 

I'll be out again tomorrow, Friday, on another work party and a different beck that doesn't get as affected by the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment