Saturday 18 June 2016

Hook Thieves

Friday I returned to the NIdd, to fish the other swim I fancied. Similar depth to Thursday's swim, but with more pace. On the way I spotted an interesting new feature that had landed on top of one of the more productive barbel swims.


Like Thursday I was going to be trotting maggot for whatever. First couple of trots produced a couple a couple of small chublets. Twenty minutes of nothing then ensued before a small dace put in an appearance. Half an hour after that I had a few small roach. I then got bit of well up the hook length. As the fine drizzle had now turned to rain I put the feeder rod out while I put the brolly up and put a new hook length on. Having poured myself a cuppa the rod tip lurched over and I lifted in to nothing. Again the hook length was bitten of well up it's length.

With the rain getting heavier I tied a new hook onto the feeder rod and cast out again. As a waited a moment for the feeder to settle, the rod was nearly snatched out of my hand. This time I caught site of the assailant, a small  1lb or so jack. I really didn't fancy moving in the rain, so chucked the feeder out again. This time I'd put a braid hook length on. After fifteen minutes with out a bite the rain had stopped. I decided  to have a couple of trots before moving. Second run through and I was in to something reasonable. After a minute or so a large perch was in the net. Looking like a good 2lb plus fish I was surprised how light it was when I lifted it out of the net. On the scales it came to 1lb 14oz, but looked a god half pound heavier.


Further trots down produced either very small roach or chewed maggots. On what turned out to be the final cast of the evening, the float shot upstream. I failed to contact any thing on the strike and when retrieved the hooks was again missing. With a very dark cloud heading toward me I decided to beat a retreat. I got back to the car just as the heavens opened.


One thing I've noticed over these couple of days is, despite there been plenty of insect life on the water I never saw anything rise to them. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment