Saturday 22 October 2016

Tagging Trout

Had another paddle around the river today, in search of grayling. The resent rain had done it's job and raised the river about 6", covering areas that had been high and dry last weekend. With no sign of any activity on the surface I opted for a duo rig. First put in and a small trout grab the Red Tag Jig on the point. After fifteen minutes of catching nothing but willow leaves and weed I waded across to the middle to fish the deep run on the far side. AS I change the dropper fly for a drab shrimp to something a garish for the deeper water the rod tip whacked over. Another little brown trout had grabbed the Red Tag as it trailed in the water.



As a rainbow appeared I wondered if was natures way of apologising for the rain. Between showers I continued to fish various runs, mainly picking up willow leaves until another little trout grabbed the bright Pink shrimp on the dropper. A natter with a bait angler confirmed not much about but the occasional small 6-8" trout. Quite where the grayling have got to we had no idea.  Darkness quickly descended as I plodded back to the car. At least I didn't have the bullocks to contend with this time.

No comments:

Post a Comment