Thursday 4 October 2018

Wrong End

First trip out for a while, I decided to head to the Nidd. In the tackle shop it was suggested that the lower swims may be better at this time of year as I bought my bait. I'd already made my mind up though, I was going to give the shallower swims at the top end a go. Don't know if this was a wise move or not, but it wasn't the best fishing I'd had on there. As I made my way up a couple of otters were porpoising along ahead of me. Whether this put the kibosh on things I don't know, but after 40 minutes I hadn't had owt but a couple of chewed maggots and a burst caster in the first swim. The second swim produced a perch and a gudgeon on float fished maggot before I got snagged.

 








 The third swim produced a couple of bleak to feeder fished maggot while I but a new lighter hook length on with a smaller hook. Winding in the feeder it was grabbed by a jack and bitten off. I ummed and ahhed  about staying in the swim, but decided to have a few trots through and after a few more bleak had a dozen hand size roach before things went quiet. All the time I'd been watched by a deer, on the far bank, that only moved off when three red kites came swooping past. After a couple more gudgeon I latched on to a rather cooperative barbel, that is 'till it got near the net. It turned and shot straight under the far bank tree roots. A couple of perch on feedered maggot finished the day.


Whether I have done any better at the bottom end I don't know, but we'll find out tomorrow.







No comments:

Post a Comment