Friday 11 January 2019

Heading South

Today I headed south to the river, instead of north, for today's trip. Again there was no wind leaving the river looking like a mirror. Somehow I'd managed to leave one of the cool bags at home, the one containing the large smelt and lamprey. I hope it wasn't defrosting on top of the freezer as it was slightly warmer today. As it turned out, I hadn't even taken it out of the freezer. So it was either small smelt or sprat as bait, both of which I'm quite confidant about.


With a sprat float fished at the bottom of the shelf and a smelt nest to a pikey looking over-hanging branch I sat and waited. The boiling of a brew, whilst contemplating moving produced the first take of the day, a steady trundle upstream. This produced a feisty little jack of 67cm. I gave it another hour before moving to the next swim, where similar tactics, along with trotting a bait just off the bottom,  were used to no avail. Same in the third swim. The fourth swim produced  one of the bob, bob, bobbing bites like yesterday and resulted in a slightly chewed sprat.


 








Not the most interesting of days, but not a blank. Another week at work until the nest trip.








No comments:

Post a Comment