Friday 5 April 2019

Flailing About in the Wind

Easterly winds are not good for anything really and that was the prediction for the end of the week. I couldn't see it been much fun fly fishing for trout so decided to have a short session waving a fly rod about on the canal after perch. This wasn't much fun either.

 








Thursday I grabbed a small box of lures and a weight six fly outfit and headed down there. I spent three hours twitching lures about and staring into a very clear canal for one follow from a small jack. The only other fish I saw wee small fry and something a bit bigger that I spooked from the margins. The cabbages could been seen coming through, but are not yet big enough for the fish to hide in. In fact I'm not sure where they hide, given how clear the water is. despite the sun the gusty wind made it a rather chilly session at times. Out of the wind I didn't need my fleece really. In the wind I could have done with a big coat as well.


 







The two other anglers I met had had an equally unproductive time. Even the three pairs of swans, didn't seem  too pleased with things as they appeared to be prospecting for suitable nest sites. The one useful thing I gained from the session was some more casting practice. The small rivers and streams I normally fish for trout rarely require a long, ten yard plus, cast. After a bit of flailing about I was eventually able to throw a good length line into the wind. Not that it caught me any fish.


Just to add to the day, when I got back to the car it wouldn't start. The battery was completely dead. Thankfully the rescue service were out pretty quickly and got me on my way. A trip to the garage for a battery check showed no problems. They, like the rescue guy, said they'd had a few more than usual like this and blamed the couple of sub zero nights earlier in the week.






No comments:

Post a Comment