Friday 26 April 2019

Spiderist or Spideriser?



As expected the river was up a tad and a bit more coloured than last week following the recent rain. Like last week, though, the water was really cold as it should be. The wind and rain had knocked a lot of debris into the river from the trees. There was little sign of insect life or rising fish so spiders it was. Is somebody who fishes spiders a spiderist or spideriser? 



One thing I had done is make up some furled leaders, just to help turn over the flies especially into the wind. I'd made two from 3.2lb nylon which I'd greased and two from 3lb flouro which I'd de-greased. The later in case I needed to get the flies deeper with out resorting to a weighted nymph on the point. With the furled leader being about 3'6" and 2'6" between flies the overall length is 11' and even with the gusty breeze the leader turned over well. The flies were, my pearly butt bloa variant on point, a partridge and yellow in the middle and a black magic variant at he top. When I get a decent camera I'll take some pictures of them. In the mean time here are the recipes.

Pearly Butt Bloa Variant

Thread:   Yellow Silk
Tag:        Pearl Tinsel
Body:      Mole Hair - Not too sparse
Hackle:   Grey Feather from a Jackdaw Scalp

 




 
Partridge and Yellow


Thread:   Yellow Silk
Hackle:   Grey Partridge Neck

 






Black Magic Variant

Thread:  Black
Thorax:  SLF Blend Black - Peacock looking dubbing
Hackle:  Black Hen







For the first hour and a half there was little or no action, so I sat and had a cuppa and sandwich whilst watching the river. A couple of times a little trout flung itself well over a foot in the air. Quite why they do this I've no idea, but this was the area I cast to when I'd finished lunch. Striking at the swirl I ha my first fish to the black magic. Around the corner I spotted a couple of rises so cast to one of the and again a near instant take as the flies landed. The afternoon was to continue like this to the point I lost count of the fish. A couple of times I had two fish on. These were the only times the partridge and yellow was taken. Even hen I swapped it around with the other flies it wasn't touched. By three o'clock things started to slow down and by half three had come to a halt. It didn't catch anything between then a four so packed up.


 








Not a bad day at all. Nothing huge, but good fun all the same. Currently black/grey flies seem to be the killers. Quite what the fish were rising to I've no idea, staring at the water with my polariods on I could see a thing. Something most have been happening given the fact that fish hadn't been rising before one, but did so for a couple of hours after.









No comments:

Post a Comment