Tuesday 31 December 2019

Sitting In The Sun With A New Landing Net


A quick trip to Bobco for a few essentials was called for, especially as their sale was on. Actually the only things I'd got my eye on were a Greys Toreon 15' float rod, to replace my aged Shimano Technium, and a Savage Gear pike net with telescopic handle to reach down the muddy river banks. Both of which I obtained. I then got myself a few lures and other bits-and-bobs, all of which are vital and I just couldn't do with out. Good job there was a 20% discount or it would have all looked very expensive.




I then made my way to the Navigation for a spot of dead baiting, as one or two people had mentioned the odd decent fish coming out. Not to day though. Nor for three other people either. I did get a run and contacted with what felt to be a smallish jack. Unfortunately a raft of weed, dislodged when three plastic tubs came through, had attached itself to the line and I managed to bump the fish faffing with that. so the new net didn't get christened. There again it was New Year gift to me so really should have to wait 'til then.


I stayed until dark at which point a large perch porpoised out of the water three feet from the bank. One chap had been lure fishing for perch and had had nothing. One of the staff in Bobco was saying it had been one of his worst pike session so far as had somebody else I spoke to. Quite what's going on I really have no idea apart from blaming the unsettled and very wet weather.


Oh well, happy New Year everybody and lets hope 2020 is a lot better than this year for predators..







2 comments: