Friday 29 January 2021

First Fish Of The Year

With the rivers on the rise again I made my way to the gravel pit. I was surprised to find ice still on it. In fact there were only four fishable swims, two of which were already taken. I did ponder whether it was worth fishing as there was only a couple of rod lengths before the ice. While having a natter one of the anglers landed a broad headed stubby pike of 15lb. This gave me some hope so I set up in the other corner swim.

 


A sardine was tossed out to the edge of the ice and a roach suspended just off the bottom was drifted into the little bay to my left until it hit the ledge.. The ice did slowly retreat on the side we were all fishing, but not on the far side. Just before twelve a pike drifted through the swim into the bay. Ten minutes later the float moved  very very slowly against the drift. Winding down I was in contact with a lively little fish that was soon in the net, which was a good job as the failure to strike resulted in the hooks dropping out the moment the line went slack. A rather empty fish of 77cm and 6lb 10oz with a rather distinctive scar on one side.


Another roach went back in and the sardine was injected with oil and cast into deeper water as the ice had now retreated some more. Mid-afternoon the temperature dropped and it felt like it could snow. A fret formed over one end of the pit, but disappeared as it started to drizzle. Those were the only fish of the day as far as I know. It was nice to get off the mark and nice to see a double in such good condition. I was also informed that pike a showing on the estate lake, not many but pike no the less.

Music while typing provided by : Idyllic Music Podcast


2 comments:

  1. Non whiskey influenced comment: good to break the blanks, onwards and upwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lets hope so, but it will need a bit of cooperation from the weather I think.

      Delete