Friday 22 January 2021

Second Session of 2021

With the local rivers a tad overfull, one even above it's previous record height, the second session of the year had to be at a stillwater. I headed to the local gravel pit half expecting it to be full of anglers. I was surprised to find only one there. I was also surprised to see some ice still left as well. The other angler, pike fishing, reported one dropped run. After a bit of a natter I set up in the opposite corner, after a bit of umming and ahhing. A trout was flung out to the end of the gravel bar and a roach dropped into the little bay to my left. The water level had final risen, but not as high as I'd expected. Still, it was nice to see it at a reasonable level again. Several other anglers eventually arrived, either pike fishing or maggot drowning. One informed me a couple of anglers had had nine pike out earlier in the week. Today there was nothing  coming out. Apart from the dropped run the only other sign of fish was the ones the kingfisher caught. Everybody seemed to agree last night's frost hadn't helped. It wasn't a bad day though. there was a bit of warmth in the sun for a while and when the chill breeze dropped the big coat wasn't needed.


I think the stillwaters are going to get a bit of a bashing over the next few weeks as we wait for the rivers to drop, provided they don't freeze over again. Which, given the projected temperatures could well happen. As usual when nothing much is happening I didn't take mnay photos, despite my New Year's resolution to do so.


1 comment: