Friday 12 March 2021

So, That's It Then

The coarse fishing season for rivers finished on Sunday 14th. As I couldn't get the weekend off today was supposed to be my last session on the rivers. The weather gods had other ideas as the river started to rise on Wednesday and topped out today, Friday, at just over 3m. Although I'm now glad I didn't get the weekend off and can use the days at some other point I wasn't pleased at not finishing on a river. I don't know why though as  the last day is generally a damp squib.

 

After a bit of dithering this morning I decided to pop down to the local gravel pit for a spot of piking. As I arrived at the parking spot the heavens opened so I sat in the car for half an hour waiting for it to die down. There were already four anglers there, all pike fishing. As two anglers left around lunch time another one arrived. The grand total for the day was two dropped runs and a follow on a lure between the lot of us. Which just about sums the season up.

This has not been the best of pike seasons for most of us. The anglers I've talked to have had one or two good sessions, but an awful lot of blanks. Some of us just seem to be out on the wrong days.  Where I fished on Tuesday produced a few pike on Wednesday, including a couple of doubles.


 

Lets hope the weather settles in time for the 25th and the start of the trout season. I've got a couple of new rods sat ready and waiting, along with some full fly boxes.





No comments:

Post a Comment