Saturday 6 March 2021

Somebody Catches a Fish

Even as late as Friday morning I still hadn't decided where to fish, or how to fish. I had thought of taking one pike rod and a ledger rod and maybe some lobs and/or cheese paste. In he end I decide to head upstream of the city and only took the pike rods as the cheese paste was still in the freezer and would take until lunch time, at least, to defrost. I can't say I was filled with enthusiasm when I got to the river, something just didn't feel right. I had a wander well up the length with the intention of fishing a few swims as I made my way back to the car. Still the sun was shining.


A paternostered roach was dropped in blow the upstream tree and a float-ledgered half mackerel over the shelf. A young swan popped over to say hello whilst in the second swim of the day. By the time I got to the fourth swim the sun had disappeared and black clouds were gathering. I decided to move to the fifth swim before it started to rain. It had a nice flat area where I could get the brolly up and prepare some lunch if the rain became persistent. Of course the rain/ hail/sleet started as I wandered along the bank.

Unbeknown to me there was another angler in the next swim. After the rain he popped round for a chat. He'd just taken up river fishing late last year. Just in time for the floods.  After a couple of changes of swim he did catch a nice pristine chub on feeder maggot, his first river fish since November. This cheered both of us up and despite not catching myself made the day worth while, especially as I sort of recommended the swim.


 

The close season is creeping up. I have a few days off so hopefully will be able to redeem the year which has not been great so far.


2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. I think this is why everybody is on the commercials. Though the lad that caught the chub has moved from the commercials to river fishing. I must admit I was really pleased for him catching.

      Delete