Wednesday 29 June 2022

Metamorphosed Amphibians Are Go

The rain which had eased off during  the journey had got heavy again when I arrived at the parking spot near the canal. Looking out of the car window it looked like some of the pebbles were moving about, but closer inspection showed them to be tiny, 1cm, frog or toads. They were all over, seemingly migrating from the canal to the long grass. I did manage to get a rather dodgy bit of video of a few but they're very hard to follow with a phone camera. I was surprised birds weren't around picking them off.

The short section I started at is nearly always coloured for some reason. This makes manoeuvring the lure around the weeds a bit of a problem, bit in-between picking the weed off the lure I managed a small jack and a couple of perch. before reaching the lock. It's a bit clearer here and a few fish could be seen, mainly roach with the odd tiny perch. Nothing seemed interest in my lures though. Above the lock I managed to lose a jack of a couple of pounds when it lodged itself in a large blob of blanket weed.

By now the sun had come out, which was quite a surprise. Back at the lock a couple of larger fish were swimming about. They looked like chub around the two pound mark. They also steadfastly refused to sure any interest in my lures. Nor did they show any interest in a couple of slugs I threw in. Worms didn't interest them either, but the roach were happy with them. I did manage a couple of perch on lures though. Bigger than the ones swimming about with a the roach. They shot out of the cabbages to grab the lures.

One strange thing I noticed was that the roach would happily follow the large of the lure I used. I've seen perch accompany lures before but never roach. Before the sun disappeared I spotted a small shoal of what I thought were roach but their fins were very bright red so I suspect they were rudd. It's a long long time since I've seen rudd in the canal.


I think I'll have to try dropshotting an artificial maggot to see if I can catch some rudd and or roach. Not sure what would be needed to tempt the chub should I see then again.

I wonder what the survival rate is of these little things. I wonder how many got squashed by the dog walkers and myself..

4 comments:

  1. Or eaten by chub, perch or pike!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably. I wonder if that's why the chub weren't interested, they were full of frogs/toads.

      Delete
  2. Sadly they pop quite audibly when you're a bit clumsy of the foot and looking anywhere else than down.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ...and get stuck in the tread of your boots.

      Delete