Friday 1 July 2022

What a Load of Bolo

 For the last day of the month I headed down to the slow deep stretch of the Derwent again. This time I was (slightly) better prepared as I'd put a couple of bait droppers in the bag. I'd also dusted of an old Harlow 'pin. A big beast at 5¼" diameter. The reason it hadn't been used for a long time is that the reel foot is larger than modern reels. This means it doesn't fit a lot of modern reel seats but it did just fit the Greys 15'.

On the way to the swim I collected a bit of soil from a molehill to add to the groundbait. The ix was a simple one; dark breadcrumb, molehill soil and crushed hemp. Mixed firmly it should get down the bottom of the 15' deep swim before breaking up. I was also going to introduce maggots and hemp with a bait dropper in the hope this would not attract as many small dace or bleak. This idea seemed to fail as the first fish out was a minnow, but this turned out to be the only one of the session. My other attempt at avoiding the little bits was to use a 6g bolo float. I reckoned it would be enough weight to get past the bits.


After the minnow it was a little while before the next fish showed up. Mainly gudgeon with a few small dace mixed in. I put a dropper of hemp and maggots every half dozen casts and a ball of groundbait every thirty minutes, or so. Eventually some decent sized dace turned up but I had trouble hitting the bites at times. This was probably down to the size of the float. I think a slider may be a better option, even if I don't like fishing them, as it would allow me to strike through the float.

After another lull the roach turned up. Mainly hand sized or smaller. Their bites were a lot easier to hit being a lot slower. Out of no where I struck into to something bigger. At first I thought it was a perch but when it surfaced it was a larger roach. A rather nice fish around the pound mark. I managed a couple more smaller ones before are rather large pike turned up and snaffled one I was reeling in. I managed to play it for half a minute before it bit me off.

Obviously things went rather quiet after this, but I did manage three smaller perch before bites dried up completely. I did try down the edge but this just produced a lot of chewed maggots. I did manage 7lb 2oz of bits. Although 15% of the weight was the one large roach.


I think I'll have to sort the slider floats out for these deeper venues. Once they get beyond 10' they're a bit problematic. Especially when heavy weights are used to avoid the bleak and minnows.

 

 



6 comments:

  1. Have never used a slider, don't own any. Am fishing a deep section on Sunday, so that may be interesting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's no more than a rod length deep it's not too bad except when it come to swinging fish in as the end up two foot below the rod butt. Good luck on Sunday.

      Delete
  2. Nice session Steve, you’ll have to have a go for that pike later in the year.

    Top and bottom sliding balsa might be an option ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta. It's down for a spot of piking this winter. I've got quite a collection of balsa sliders and avon ones as well from years and years ago when 14' rods were considered long and used to fish the Ouse and Ure a lot.

      Delete
  3. 15 feet? Not in a North Norfolk non tidal..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It gets deeper in places, and it's only 60 foot wide.

      Delete