Tuesday 31 January 2023

A New Venue On A Nice Drying Day

 Having kindly offered to provide a free taxi service I was going to be stuck with nothing to do for a couple of hours, so diced to try a new venue and fling a lure, or two, around a lock. While Google tried to get me there, the new road, new houses and road works did confuse things somewhat, but I got there in the end.

What I hadn't taken into account was the wind. According to that Beaufort chappie it was a Fresh Breeze. According to me it was blowing a hooley, straight down the canal. This meant the usual 3-5g jig head was out and on went a 7g jig head with a fire tiger shad type thing. Fishing above the lock was hard work getting buffeted about by the wind. Below the lock there was a bit of shelter and I was soon into that sometimes fought like a perch and then like a pike. Eventually a 64cm jack was in the net. So not a blank.


A couple of casts later and another take which ended with the tail been bitten off. Things went quiet after this. A bit of a wander and a couple of changes of lure and I started to get hits but couldn't contact. A downsized the lure and the hits stopped. Back up a size and they started again? A change to a crank bait didn't make any difference. By now the wind had increased to a Strong Breeze and it was becoming dangerous to stand to close to the edge as the gusts could knock you off your balance. A couple more changes of lure didn't improve things and time was now running out so time to give up.


Quite what was hitting the lures I don't know but I think it'll be worth a return visit in more clement weather.


 


5 comments:

  1. Deffo drying weather, no tumble dryer needed today, and only one thing blown olf line by wind. And no, I didn't fish, too cold for me..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't blame you for not fishing that wind just cut through you. I did think have having a wander round one of the big tackle shops but I don't think my wallet would have liked that.

      Delete
  2. Nice to keep the pike coming

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't mind but I was perch fishing really.

      Delete