Wednesday 4 January 2023

Plans A to C

 My original plan was to fish the Brick Ponds, but I'd been told they were still rather coloured from the run-off . Plan B was to fish the Estate Lake , but I don't have the combination for the lock yet. I'm sure there's somebody I could get in touch with while I await my card, but there was nobody at the pit as I drove past so I opted for Plan C.

 

As I unloaded the car I was greeted by a robin. As the liquidised bread was handy  I sprinkled a some about for it. That would be the last I saw of it. I headed round to the far side and set up the rods. A trout to the right by an overhanging tree and a small half mackerel to the left under an overhanging tree.

Just as I got a cuppa made the left hand float trundled away. I lively little jack was contacted with that decided to show off it's acrobatic skills under the rod tip. I didn't want to net it as one of the hooks was flapping about. Strangely it was hooked on the upper hook that was in the tail of the bait. A tidy little fish of 66cm.

The mackerel was replaced with half a small herring and the head part chopped up and chucked around the swim. I spent the rest of the day moving the baits about the swim or being showered with birch twigs being blown down in the wind. Staying until dark didn't bring any more runs. A couple of maggot drowners popped down for a short while but didn't appear to catch.


Mid afternoon there had been a might crack somewhere over to my right. This turned out to be a dead tree about 9" in diameter which had fallen over the path. The phone camera decided an arty shot was needed. Not sure what went wrong as the flash fired. I managed to move the tree out of the way easy enough. Four out of four so far this season. I'll have to go elsewhere for my next session as I don't want to push my luck at the pit.


2 comments:

  1. No stopping you on the pike front!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not been doing badly so far. The next couple of venues may alter that.

      Delete