Saturday 25 March 2023

First Day Of The Yorkshire Trout Season 2023

 The 25th, the first day of the trout season in some parts of Yorkshire nearly always disappoints and today was no different. The rivers had been up and down since before the end of the coarse season, the rivers had started to drop here and there. This morning, though, the dales rivers were rising again so I wasn't going to trail up there not sure what state the rivers would be in. The couple of local rivers available to me were a bit on the high side for my liking but I'd been told that they were coloured  but not a muddy colour. So that's where I headed. 

The first river I visited had about a foot or so of visibility. I worked my way along with a spider set up to start with. A Williams favourite on the point, a snipe & purple on the middle dropper and a bloa on the top dropper. This produced nothing in among the showers. I changed to a small jig lure on a euro style set up on the way back up, again nothing showed.

Having failed on the first river I headed to the second. As I sat in the car having lunch a group of people came wandering up the lane with some alpacas. I do hope they got back before the rain turned torrential. I had two setups ready for this slightly larger river. The euro lure setup and a heavier rod with a large single lure on. In between showers I chucked these things about. In one deep hole I did get what I think was a take on the euro setup, but despite changes to the lure couldn't get it to have a second go. Late on, before another downpour arrived. I had what looked like one of the escapee rainbows follow a lure a couple of times. Again changes to the lure didn't get it to take. As I was packing up I saw a barn owl flying along the hedge row. So not the start I always hope for but I tried and there's plenty more of the season to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment