Saturday 20 May 2023

All the Wrong Weather For Trout Fishing

 Having driven through thick and patchy fog into glorious sunshine may have been nice for some, but having intended to get a little spot of trout fishing done this was not ideal. Still the levels on the gauges looked OK. A lot better than the flooded state it was in last time I visited.  I had about an hour and a half before I had to be social and join in the fun. For some reason I'd put two ten foot rods in the boot. This is a river I normally fish with six to seven foot rods, eight foot at a push,  so this was going to be fun.

 


As expected the trout were rising in the shade of the trees where a six foot rod would be ideal and a ten footer, nine foot nine inch to be exact, wasn't. Fly life seemed to consist of little black things, the odd grannom and hawthorn, and a very occasional brook dun. It appeared that the little black things were the food of the day. On went a size eighteen double badger. Not the most visible fly in the conditions but anything smaller would be even worse. With a bit of a trick side cast I thought I'd landed the fly near the rising fish. I saw the fish rise but it was a good eighteen inches from my fly, or rather it wasn't. I was watching the wrong thing on the water and only realised when the leader straightened out. A little trout parr came quickly to hand. A trout at last even it was rather small.

A bit further on another trout was rising in a more open area and this time I was looking at the right fly as it took it the moment it hit the water. This time a proper little acrobatic trout. Another one rose as I released it. A cast to the same spot and a six inch or so drift and another little trout. As this one wasn't a leaping I took it by hand. It decided to leap as I took it's photo though. I also decided this was a good time to drop the phone river. This isn't officially a waterproof so either. I switched it off and removed the sim and SD cards and wrapped it all in a couple of bits of kitchen roll (the poor man's amadou). 

With only half an hour left I continued on and managed three more of the little trout and lost a couple. It was nice to actual get some trout at last. Small but very pretty. Back at the BBQ I left the phone on the parcel shelf of the car, which was nice and warm in the sun, for an hour before trying to switch it. Thankfully it worked although I hadn't put the SD card back in as I intended to make a copy before trying it.  Lets hope this is the start of me catching trout nearly two months after the start of the season.

2 comments:

  1. Saved your phone and caught some fish. I'd take that as a win!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A win it was, and a very pleasant day overall. Although, a dead phone may have been a blessing as this one is getting on and I can't decide what to get next.

      Delete