Sunday 28 May 2023

Tiny Trout In The Jungle

 I got the chance to fish one of the tiny becks on The Moors that I haven't fished for years. It's one of those where parts of it disappear when the water is low, so it looks like a series of small pools. Some of these pools can be quite deep though and have sheer edges to them so care is needed as one I found to be over four foot deep (I didn't fall in it). The great thing with a place like this is there's no great problem with fly choice. Most any small fly will generally suffice, Grey Duster, Adams, APT, or similar. I choose a small, size 18, midge type thing with six foot leader made from two foot lengths of 8,5, & 3lb mono.  The challenge is not the size of fish but getting the cast in. The six foot two weight I was using seemed a tad too long at times.

It should have been a good excuse to get to grips with the camera on my new phone, but I spent more time just watching nature such as a kingfisher dropping into one of the deeper pools and coming up with very small trout. I did attempt to film it but it landed  on an overhanging branch and dropped in the water almost straight away then was off with a fish for it's brood I assume. In between just sitting and watching I had dozen or so trout all with in an inch of each other. A similar number throw the hook. One thing with these size of fish is that you think you're missing a lot of takes, but if you watch carefully the eagerness of the fish to get a meal means they often miss the fly.

Apart for the 'black stuff' the was very little fly life. The odd olive fluttered past along with a solitary yellow may. I did get close to an Oyster Catcher's nest given the antics of a couple of them. They flow flew about whistling loudly and kept landing well into the sheep grazed meadow. The stopped once I got through into the next field. 


As was glad I'd arrived early as by lunch time nearly all signs of fly life had stopped and so did the rises. Prospecting about failed to raise any fish. A fun little session on the sort of water I'd intend to avoid this year as I'd hoped to concentrate on the rivers for something bigger.


No comments:

Post a Comment