Friday 5 January 2024

First Gravel Pit Pike Session Of The Year

 In my attempt to catch my first pike of the year I headed down to the local gravel pit with the intention of fishing the opposite side to the one i have been fishing. Another chap beat me by a minute to the swim I intended to fish so I dropped in the one next to him. Despite the weather forecast claiming it would merely be a dreary overcast sort of day it started drizzling as we setup and we would have the odd bit through out the day.

A small roach was dropped next to the tree roots to my left and a smelt was placed at the bottom of the drop off to my right. Another angler joined us on the far bank but didn't stay long. Just after I'd finished a cuppa I had a run on the roach which was dropped as I wasn't taking enough notice as i was waffling at the other chap. Nowt else happened until I'd got my pot noodle ready when the right hand float moved away slowly. This time I connected with a small pike of 75cm. A very tidy and well marked little beast. 

Mid-afternoon I had another run on the roach but again I failed to contact with anything. The other chap, who'd caught nowt moved to the other side of the pit. I fished on until dark. Just before the floats became invisible I had another run on the smelt but only contacted with an alder branch.

 


I'm thankful I was beaten to the swim I intended to fish as I now broken my run of blanks. Next week the weather is supposed to turn cold. I don't know whether this will help the pike fishing or not, but at least it looks like the end of the rain for a while so hopefully we may be able to actually get to the rivers.

No comments:

Post a Comment