Thursday 4 January 2024

Second Pike Session Of 2024

 After it had chucked it down all day Tuesday there was an awful lot of closed roads around the area. I therefore decided to stay local for Wednesday's session and headed to the estate lake. There were a few cars in the car park when I arrived. A couple of anglers fishing the end of the island had two pike while I had a quick natter with them, so things looked hopeful. I opted to fish the far side of the island.


I started with a small roach on the inside and a headless joey mackerel over to the island. Things were quiet through the morning with nobody else catching as for as I could tell. As I had my lunch I contemplated moving but was dissuaded when a few fish scattered close to the island. This happened a couple more times under an overhanging tree but the closest I could get my bait, now a headless sardine was about six foot away. By mid-afternoon there was also fish topping to my right so I moved the small roach over there. Oils had been added to both baits but this didn't make much difference.


Another pike was taken on the far side of the island giving the pair three pike around the 4-5lb mark and a couple of dropped runs. They were the only one with any action at all as far as I could see. I didn't have so much as  sniff. That makes it three blanks in a row. Like many I blame the unsettled weather and hope that the upcoming settled spell may make life easier.

No comments:

Post a Comment