Tuesday 26 March 2024

Day 2 - 2024 Trout Season

 As I didn't have much time available for my second session of the trout season I headed to the downstream end of the beck. A couple of anglers were euro nymphing up stream from the bridge so I headed downstream of the bridge to work my way back up to it. An elk hair caddis was on the end of the leader. I was using an eight foot rod today rather than the seven foot rod I'd used yesterday as the was a bit more room. Third or fourth cast I managed to land the fly close to the tree roots. The fly had drifted about six inches when I got a take. After a bit of a hectic fight mid river it was on it's way to the net. It then woke up again and dodged the net and dived into the pile of debris to my right where it manage to dislodge the hook. It looked like a good twelve inch fish as well. Oh well, others may be looking up.

 

I worked my way upstream casting into likely looking spots. About halfway back I cast next to some vegetation on my bank as I lifted the fly for a recast a fish swirled at it. Judging by the silveriness I think it may have been a grayling. I was nearly back at the bridge when a fish slashed at the fly the moment it landed. By now it was lunch time. I decided to fish a duo rig after lunch for the short time I had left, but on another stretch upstream of me.

 Sadly this produced nothing in the short time I had but it did allow me to have a look at this section which does look rather fishy. One thing I did see, on the sheep droppings, were dung flies. Not something use see as much these days. I think I may have to tie some up. Despite the sunshine I think the cold wind kept the fish down. That'd my excuse anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Cold wind is a pretty good excuse. I often use that one 👍

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unlike some angling excuses I think it's a valid one.

      Delete