Monday 25 March 2024

New Club, New Water, New Season

 Technically it isn't a new water as I've fished it in the past, but this is the first time I've fished it legally.  The weather forecast left a lot to be desired. It was basically various variations on rain, light, heavy, drizzle, etc. Quite why I fish the first day of the trout season I don't know. In the last ten years, when I've fished the first day, I've only caught once on opening day. To add to the problems I intended to fish dry fly in the morning and change to nymph in the afternoon if that didn't work. After a relatively uneventful drive I arrived at the parking spot as the rain started, and it was quite heavy. A cuppa was called for.


Once the rain had stopped and the cuppa had been drunk I headed to the river. I had been down here before on a work party so had some idea what the beat was like. I'd set up a 7' rod with a #4 line. The fly was to be a CDC & Elk Caddis as I'd been assured this was the fly for the water at this time of year. It wasn't long before I got my first take. It took me rather by surprise as I'd lost sight of the fly and thought it was somewhat nearer to me. Needless to say I failed to connect. Still, at least one was willing to rise.

I continued along casting at likely looking spots. It was some time before I got my next take, close to some tree roots. This time I connected and was into a small but lively little wild brown trout. Safely netted it was smaller than I'd thought at only 7". Still it was a trout on opening day and taken on dry fly as well. It even ejected the hook in the net. Mission accomplished.

A quick photo and back it went without really leaving the water.

The rain started again and began to get heavy. As it was around lunch time I retired to the car and had a celebratory curry. After an hour or so the rain eased and I had another go up the beat. I stuck with the dry fly as it seemed to be working. In the same swim I'd missed the first fish I elicited another rise with which I connected but it managed to squirm off the hook. Halfway up the beat I connected with another rise. This one looked bigger than the previous one but was quickly netted. While rummaging for the phone the little bugger managed to leap from the net. It was nearly one and half time bigger at 10". That was it for the day as the rain started again and it was nearly going home time.

Considering the chilly conditions and the rain nymphing would probably have produced more fish, but I really wanted a dry fly fish on opening day so was rather pleased at raising four and landing two.




You also get to see and hear steam trains if you're into that sort of thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment