Thursday 17 October 2019

First Frost of the Winter

I'd said to myself that I'd start pike fishing after the first frost. Well today we had the first frost, so I went barbel fishing. It wasn't really a proper frost, besides I'd I had the barbel kit all ready and the pike kit wasn't. Also I'd heard there were a few barbel coming out of the Ouse. Unfortunately the river had dropped quicker than expected since then and by over a metre. The first angler I met, who was just landing a bream, was the one that had had a few out, seven on Sunday. Other anglers told me there had been very few fish out since then.  This did not fill me with confidence. This was not help by the fact that a lot of the swims were unfishable due to the height of the river, which was a neither really up or down. I did find one or two interesting looking fungi as I wandered round though. I do wish I could name them though. Although I could give them any name, as most have rather silly names,  and claim that's what they known as round here.

 








 








 








I picked a known barbel swim with a nice flat bit within comfortable landing net distance of the river. The first rod, baited with worm was dropped slightly upstream next to an over hanging tree. The other rod baited with garlic spam/luncheon meat and a feeder full of hemp was cast downstream next to the trees. The first bite of the day , on the worm rod, produced a little perch. The second, on the worm rod, resulted in nothing. As did the third. While I waited for another bite a few sedges began to flutter about and the odd fish dimpled the surface Late in the afternoon the spam rod lurched round and I was in. Whatever it was dived straight under the trees then everything went slack. Everything came back bar the spam. The hook looked OK as did the rest of the rig, so out went another piece after I'd slipped and landed on my arse and the swim feeder. Thankfully I missed the hook. That was it for the day.

 









The slip persuaded me that staying till dark was not a good idea so I left with light to spare. I always seem to be working when the rivers a spot on. One day I may be able to retire and have all the time in the world. Another couple of barbel trips and then on to the pike. Once I've sorted the pike gear out.










No comments:

Post a Comment