Friday 18 October 2019

Hordes of Crows

Having had a good look at the river gauges it looked like The Ure would be rising throughout the day. So that's where I headed.  When I arrived the roads were very wet as were the banks. I slithered down to the side of the river in  one of the swims that I reckoned I wouldn't get flooded out of. Meat and hemp over to the far bank, under the overhanging trees and worm on the inside in a slack.

 















All in all it was a quite pleasant day apart form one brief bit of rain that was over by the time I got the brolly up. Despite the river rising over a foot the barbel didn't play ball and the only three bites I got on worm I missed. The reason I missed them was I was distracted first by a kite and a crow having a dog fight. I saw the tip spring back and retrieved a chewed up worm. This happened again when the like brought a friend along to play with three crows, fascinating stuff to watch. Later, along with a dog walker, we watched a kestrel flitting from tree to tree and occasionally hovering before a horde of crows came over the trees and kestrel shot across other river over the top of us to fast to get a picture. The real problem with the rising river was the increasing amounts of leaves and weed coming down the river and snagging the line.

 








A pleasant day out in the sunshine. A fish would have been nice, but watching the antics of the birds more than made up for that.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment