Friday 25 June 2021

Computer Says Ure

Wednesday morning the computer selected a stretch of Ure for me to fish in the afternoon once I'd got some more decorating done. The river was a reasonable level when I got there, but the flow was remarkably slow for this stretch. There best of the flow was about three quarters of the way across. The swim was about  seven foot deep, so I opted for a 7bb avon. A size 18 hook to 2.9lb hook length terminated the rig. Maggots over hemp, as I'd been fishing all week, was the method. I fed both the far line and a line on the near side in a near stationary slack.

 

It took nearly an hour before I got the first bite which resulted in a small roach. The next cast produced a small dace. I managed ten fish, both dace and roach, over the next hour before it went quiet. While I had a sandwich and cuppa I dropped the float in the slack. The float moved about 12 foot during the time it took to eat the sandwich. Plenty of time for a fish to take the bait, but none were interested. The fish reappeared in the far swim with just the eight coming over an hour before going quiet again. This time I picked up a few more roach from the slack. A natter with a chap who reckoned it had been fishing crap disrupted my regular baiting of the swims. It took another hour before the fish reappeared on the far line. I bumped off what would have been the largest fish of the session with out seeing it.

Come 8:30 the bites had dried up on both lines. Another chap turned up and reckoned it hadn't been fishing too bad, plenty of bites if you could get the fish to stay in the swim. He was surprised I hadn't had any perch or chub though. I fished on until ten for a couple more fish. I reckon I'd had a fish every ten minutes or so, enough not to get bored.


I can't say this trotting maggots lark is doing particularly well at times, but it's quite enjoyable. One more trip to go before it's back to work.

No comments:

Post a Comment