Thursday 24 June 2021

Frightening Chub

Tuesday morning the computer suggested a trip to the Swale. Arriving late afternoon I was surprised how few pegs had been used considering it's a popular barbel fishery. Wandering through the long grass, aggravating my hay fever, I found a shallow 3' swim I fancied. A look further downstream, just in case, I spotted some chub in a swim of similar depth. Catapulting out some hemp didn't have the effect I was hoping for. The chub slowly slunk away. Catapulting maggots in didn't bring them back so I returned to the previous swim.

Setting up with a 3.3g loafer and a 2.9 hook length to a size 16 hook I again tossed in some hemp followed by maggots. The first few trots produced chewed maggots so I dropped to and 18 hook and single maggot. Eventually, after some heavy feeding the chewed maggots nearly stopped and a few small roach started to come to hand. After an hour so, with a couple of dozen fish caught, a pike decided to eat and grabbed a roach I was reeling in before spitting it out. It then dropped down to the roach shoal scattering them every where. I fished on for another half hour with out a bite.

With no bites forthcoming I moved to the swim I'd frightened the chub from. Feeding maggots only I fished until I could no longer see the float with only one a have been a fish, may have been a stick to show for it. Talking to another angler, who'd been fish another clubs water upstream, as i walked back. He said that it had been rather patchy and a bit of rain was needed.



I maybe should have fished deeper water, but you just never know with fishing. The peg upstream could have been chock a block for all I know. I'd caught and as I'm not after anything in particular, just enjoying some float fishing, I'm not bothered.



No comments:

Post a Comment