Saturday 19 June 2021

Second Trip of the New Season

The weather forecast for Friday had varied all week. Rain was definitely on the cards but how heavy and what time was still a bit of an unknown. My own prediction was that it was likely to be rather light and intermittent. This turned out to be not far from the truth. As I drove to the river there was quite a heavy downpour, but it eased off as I arrived at the rather full car park. One angler's car, a couple of vans and two humongous tractors with mower attachments. The EA had were cutting the grass on the flood bank. According to a couple of dog walkers I talked to the rain had been a blessing as it it damped down the huge clouds of pollen.

I selected one of the shallower and pacier swims this time. Usually this swim requires the bait to be dragged along the bottom, so a small 5X4 avon was to be used despite it been only three and a half foot deep. The shot was bulked  a foot above a small link swivel to which a nine inch hook-length with a size sixteen hook. By the time I'd got set up the drizzle had got heavier so up went the brolly. I don't like float fishing under a brolly, but I dislike getting soaked even more. The lack of wind allowed the brolly to be set quite high so it wasn't too bad. This did mean that I couldn't film proceedings as there was now where to place the camera.


After a few tots down to get the depth set right I laid out a tail of hemp down the swim. But half a dozen maggots in with each trot down I was soon suffering chewed maggots before finally picking up small dace right at the bottom of the swim. The shoal didn't stop still. After six or so fish I had to trot down one side or the other of the feed in order to get bites. The dace were of a smaller stamp then Wednesday's. Occasional I'd pick up the odd very small, but tubby little gudgeon near the top of the swim, along with some fair size bleak. Despite chucking the maggots upstream I couldn't get the dace to move closer. After one of the short heavy bursts of rain, during which I caught nowt,  I did get five nice dace around the half pound mark and a pound plus grayling. A few more of the small dace followed before everything went quiet.

As  the rain had all but stopped I decided it was a good time to pack up. A couple more species added to the tally along with the nice dace made for a good session. I was surprised at the lack of chublets though. next week's weather is all  up in the air, but i hope to get out everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment