Friday 14 January 2022

MOT

I knew the MOT was coming up as a sidelight bulb had gone. Last year it was the offside, this time it was the nearside. Unless you've got fingers the size of chopsticks the entire light assembly has to be removed to change the bulb. This, though, was minor compared to the rest of the problems that materialised. A spring had broken and had to be replaced. The garage could one but wouldn't have time to fit it until next day. This meant the MOT would get pushed to the end of the week. While I was there I made enquiries about another problem I'd lived with for a while. The passenger door could only be opened for the outside. This was due to a broken cable from the lever to the latch. This was a known problem years ago and was generally repaired under warranty. My car is well out of warranty. It is also an MOT failure, as both front doors must open from the inside. There is, however, plenty of information on the Internet about it. The only problem was they couldn't get one for a week to ten days. I therefore decided I'd do something about it myself. 

I contacted the local dealer and they said the same thing. After a bit of trawling through the webs I found one I could get next day. Head office won't let the garage buy from Amazon or Ebay, only authorised suppliers. It duly arrived next day at teatime, so I had to wait until next day to fit it. This pushed the MOT even further away. I spent the evening studying a variety of videos to see how it was done. Basically it involves dismantling the door. May only worry was the dreaded phrase - to put it back together just reverse the procedure. This never works. Dismantling things is generally a doddle, but the reverse is rarely true.

As it was it turned out to be relatively straight forward, though, with out the videos finding some of the the screws and knowing which bits could be crowbarred off wouldn't have been easy. Three hours work interspersed with rewatching the videos and it was done. I did end up with an extra bit at the end, but it was only a bit of plastic that isn't vital to the operation of the door and thankfully I only had to remove the door handle to put it back. It's surprising how many cheap parts, that should be simple to replace, can cause an MOT failure.

8 comments:

  1. Starter motor went the other day 54 miles from home. Recovery chap came within an hour and a half and got me going but I had the if this happens again within 28 days jog on message so its sitting waiting for a slot on Wednesday. I've fitted one before, and an alternator but these days my sight and dexterity and sealed unit trickery means its garage or bust....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Engine bays are very cramped these days and along with the computerisation it's no longer a simple job for the amateur. Gone are the days when you could repair a car with a monkey wrench, hammer and screwdriver.

      Delete
  2. My new car has spent more time in the garage than my old car (and I had that for 3 years, the new one Ive had for 6 weeks...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hard luck. Looks like you've got a Friday afternoon special. If it was anything else you'd get it replaced, but with a car you have to suffer the problems.

      Delete
  3. I had to repair the wiring loom on my drivers doors, what a pain in the arse!

    Hopefully it pass first time and you don’t lose any time on the bank !


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine, the wiring loom on mine is just a bunch of wires taped together with electricians tape and just disappears though grommets to where ever.

      Hope it does as I don't want to be spending much more money on it either.

      Delete
  4. I have nothing to comment on cars. I just about manage to put fuel in mine without the garage. I have zero mechanical knowledge! Is needed to get me to the river though!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're probably better off that way. Modern cars are an utter pain to work with.

      Delete