Friday 7 January 2022

Strike Three

Friday morning after a night of snow, sleet and freezing temperatures the car took some defrosting. I soon arrived at the fishing spot I intended to fish on Monday. This time I wasn't thwarted by a match, but I'd forgotten I'd be facing straight in to the sun for a large part of the day. The river was now only a couple of foot up, but it did rise a few inches during the session. The area I was fishing was classic territory, on the inside of a bend with over hanging trees creating nice slack areas.  It had also produced some good weights in the last couple of matches held there.

The usual tactics were employed, float-ledgered, paternoster, trotted and even ledgered out in the middle. Mackerel, lamprey, trout, sardine, and roach were used as baits. I fished four different swims. It wasn't until the last swim that I got my one and only run of the day. As I made my last cuppa of the day the float shot away. Before I could put the kettle and cup down the float had popped back up and all I ended up with was a chewed sardine.

If these pike don't start to frame themselves I think I might have to take up chub fishing.

6 comments:

  1. Not sure Chub fishing is any easier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From what I've hard from others sitting around in the dark seems to be the only way to catch chub at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Will go buy glow in the dark cheese paste then!

      Delete