Tuesday 5 July 2022

Fishing Among The Bikes

 As I was dropping somebody off at the station this morning I snuck a lure rod and lures in the car for a spot of urban fishing at the back of the station. I suppose real urban fishing involves manoeuvring a lure between abandoned shopping trollies but there wasn't one in sight. There was. however, plenty of bikes that had been thrown in. Probably by people nicking them to get to the station then dumping them.

I started off with a Salmo 3cm Hornet crankbait which quickly attracted the attention of some very small perch that would happily chase it and occasional manage to get themselves hooked. There really was a lot of them about. Sometimes half a dozen would chase the lure in. Hooking them was another matter though. It was surprising how often the lure was hit but they managed to avoid the hooks. Even with the low hookup rate I still managed over a dozen small perch in the short time I was there.

As the time to leave approached I latched into something larger. After a brief battle I had a nice 29cm perch in the net. Way way bigger than anything caught so far. I persisted in throwing the lure around the area a bit longer but nowt else materialised, not even any of the little 'uns.

Not bad for the short time I was there. The hookup rate was a puzzle, although some of the perch were tiny. As I'm making the same trip to the station tomorrow I may have another go.


2 comments:

  1. Looks a pb bike to me! Great short session!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. There's an astonishing number of bikes dumped around there. Wasn't bad at all. It'd be nicer if they were a bit bigger.

      Delete