Thursday 21 September 2023

More Fish Counting

I had my barbel gear ready for the rising river, but a sore ankle from slipping on a rotten apple in the garden as I picked up the windfalls suggested it might not be a good idea to be wandering around steep slippy banks. I decided instead to fish a clay pit that I'd not fished since last century. Armed with maggots, casters,hemp, and groundbait for anything that was hungry.  I decide on one of the few pegs with out a platform. This would allow me to stick banksticks in and I could park the car right behind the swim. Tactics were to be hemp and caster in one swim and groundbait with maggots in the other. Two waggler rods were set up and a bit of plumbing around was performed. The bottom seemed snag and weed free.

Hemp and caster to the left. Maggot and groundbait to the right. It took a good half hour before I got my first bite. A small perch on maggot, quickly followed by a small rudd. It was then the turn of the caster to produce another small perch. Bites came in fits and starts for the rest of the day. Three other anglers arrived and set up shop, mainly catching the same thing as far as I could tell. At one point I thought I was into something better but it turned out to be a small rudd with a twig wrapped round the line. At the end of a rather unexciting day I had 25 rudd, 23 perch, and only 3 roach.

Not the most exciting day but the weather was pleasant and the bites kept my interest with out me have to try too hard. Others had a feeder rod out but hadn't caught anything on it so I'm glad I didn't bother. It does, however, look like a good bet for a pike or two later.

4 comments:

  1. Nice to be out though! Nice blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was nice. Decent weather after all the rain and a nice relaxed session.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Yep. Doing my usual last minute sorting this weekend.

      Delete